A total of 372 Turkish soldiers were hospitalised late Saturday in western Manisa following complaints of nausea and vomiting, that province’s governor told Anadolu Agency.
“After the dinner meal, 372 Turkish soldiers were brought to hospitals and over 200 soldiers were placed under observation at sickroom inside of the commandship [barracks],” Mustafa Hakan Guvencer said.
Defense Minister Fikri Isik said 590 soldiers were affected in total and 372 were taken to hospitals.
Guvencer said it is too early to talk about poisoning. Guvencer added:
We cannot make an official statement now about the reason of the disease and diagnosis, we are waiting for laboratory results
He said Defence Minister Fikri Isik and Commander of Turkish Land Forces Gen. Zeki Colak would go to Manisa.
The governor’s office later issued a written statement that said the soldiers are not in life-threatening conditions and some had been already discharged from hospitals.
Police early Sunday arrested 19 employees, including executives, of the catering company that provides food to the military at the post where the incident occurred, police source told Anadolu Agency.