Tuesday afternoon, noted thespian, Longhorns fan and Wild Turkey creative director/spokesman Matthew McConaughey took to Facebook live to promote a new 86-proof bourbon called Wild Turkey Longbranch. It will retail out at $40 list price and will be available in May.
It was described in a press release as “a rare small-batch Kentucky bourbon is refined with Texas Mesquite and oak charcoals – a unique method that deepens the flavor and complexity of the whiskey (with a) bright gold color and aroma that is a balanced blend of vanilla and spices. Flavors of caramel, pear, and hints of citrus round out the palate. The subtle, smoky finish is buttery smooth, with notes of gentle pepper and toasted oak.”
We learned a lot during the 15 min Facebook live.
1. Dude would have made a great weatherman. Somewhere on Earth-4, “Dazed and Confused” was never made and our hero became the Burton Fitzsimmons of his Austin. After we learn that he is at Contigo, McConaughey tells us. “It’s about 69 and sunny out here, hope the weather is pretty good wherever you are.”
2. “I got a release today.” Uh, no comment, man. (Yes, he is talking about the booze.)
3. Everything is alright alright alright in his world. There’s some time to kill be fore things get going. “My kids are good, my wife doesn’t want to change me,” he says. “All four dogs are healthy.” It’s good to be the McConna king.
4. “I know Kansas, driven through it many times.” He shouts out all the folks checking in during the Facebook live. He answers questions about the booze throughout.
5. He co-wrote, directed and starred in the Wild Turkey ads. In his relationship with the Russell distilling family, he “found a story in their story,” he says, “an iconic family who’s mastered an iconic American invention we call bourbon.” (USA! USA!)
6. Details. He wanted to invent “a bourbon that would be my favorite bourbon in the world.” The bottle has “nice shoulders and hips.”
7. The drink he pours is “the first of the afternoon but not the last.” Amen, brother.
8. “YES I REALLY HELPED MAKE IT!” He got countless numbers of testing bottles. There were late night notes to head distiller Eddie Russell.
9. He pronounces “chutzpah” as CHUTZ-PAH and I have no idea if he is kidding.
10. He worked on this the way he auditioned scripts. “(To really read a script) I gotta wait until I am in the right mood and the right place,” McConaughey said. He decided this was the right booze for him (and us) while camping with this family on the Frio River.He tasted the bourbon MANY PLACES.
11. Kenny Wells from “Gold” would like his new booze the most. “Gold,” we will never forget you.
12. OH HEY IT’S HIS MOM KAY, the special guest he’s “known all his life.” I really should have seen that one coming.
13. Then Eddie Russell shows up. He seems chill.
14. The man has three movies coming out this year: “Beach Bum,” a comedy, then two dramas in the fall “White Boy Rick” and “Serenity.”
15. “In the country, by the river, at a fire” and “out for the night.” These are the images the bourbon brings to his mind.
16. “THEY CAUGHT THAT GUY!” from his “Unsolved Mysteries.”
From that “Unsolved Mysteries.”