Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus Numan Kurtulmus talks to foreign media in Ankara in this file photo dated January 21, 2014. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
Ankara- Turkey has reiterated that its military presence in Qatar will remain, considering any linkage between that and the crisis with Doha an error and stressing that its military base in Qatar serves the region’s security and not only Qatar’s.
Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus said after the cabinet meeting on Monday that “Turkey’s military base in Qatar is not just for Qatar’s security, but for the security of the whole area. The Turkish military presence will remain.”
“Linking the crisis with the Turkish base is wrong,” he added.
Last week, Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that the military base in Qatar is a sovereign matter related to the two countries and demanding its closure along with other demands from the Arab countries is a violation of international laws.
In the same context, spokesman for Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan Ibrahim Kalin considered during a news conference on Monday that the Turkish base in Qatar poses no threat to any country in the region but its purpose is to contribute to the security and stability of the Gulf and the region.
Further, Saudi Ambassador to Ankara Walid Bin Abdul Karim El Khereiji said on Sunday that it is surprising how Turkey rushed to establish a military base in Qatar with the beginning of the crisis with Qatar.
He stressed that the Saudi armed forces and military capabilities are at their best level and the kingdom would never allow Turkey to establish military bases in the country.